Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Mermaid Journals (in progress) For Art Fest in October





I will be exhibiting in Historic Norcross Art Festival this fall (My first Art Festival) and decided to make some pretty journals to add to my display. They will all have blank acid free paper inside but the outsides will be covered in detailed original images by me. I am going to pour a 2 part resin on top of the image once I finish to preserve the covers forever. These are going to be really pretty I'm excited. I love keeping a journal myself but never thought to actually design the covers of those beautifully bound Strathmore journals. I will put some in my Etsy shop soon. These are a few photos of the progress so far. The nice thing is that with the two part resin protecting the image I am going to be able to embellish these like crazy with beads and all sorts of fun things. The resin I use is so thick it will hold anything down for life. I also like to put a beveled rim of puff paint around the image which helps to keep the resin inside the rim. That way it won't drip off onto the pages. I'll keep you posted on the finished product of the first two which happen to be Mermaids(O: I guess I still have the beach on my mind!

2 comments:

  1. You are going to LOVE the art festival, and you will do well! What a good idea of having the edging around the journal to keep the resin in. I would really like to try resin--I love the result.
    And your art piece of Emma is....well you know the drill..I'm drooling as usual!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I just love this creation...and the beads and colours and fun stuff that will lay burried under all the appoxy will be a treasure for sure!

    great work...i love embellishing journal covers...it's such fun!

    come by and peek into my handwritten memoires today!

    ciao bella
    creative carmelina

    ReplyDelete

It's always such a pleasure hearing from my followers! I love to read all my comments and please know that I read everyone of them and each one is appreciated more than you know.

My New Studio

My New Studio
It may be pink but it's no longer the closet under the stairs(O:

Happy Valentines Day!!

Happy Valentines Day!!
These are little Valentines Mice made out of little white stones. I stuck felt hearts on them and then embelished them with bows and eyes. This is a fun Valentines Day craft for my daughter's second grade class!

Art Doll Prints

Available Now!!!

India

Meet India, she is such a treasure! I made from a tea cup I brought back from India last year. She sits 6 1/2 inches tall. The base she sits on is a beautiful square plate I found in Crate & Barrel that matched the tea cup perfectly. India has been embellished with fabrics I also brought back with me. Her hair is a combination of wool and acrylic fibers and she is jeweled with brass accents. India has henna patterns on the souls of her feet and around the tops of her arms and sits in this peaceful position as she meditates. She's waiting to sit in your home and bring you peace.

India Prays

India Prays
Art Doll

Art Doll Mable

Art Doll Mable
Meet Mable, she's trying her best to keep her skin glowing. She believes in nourishing her body from the inside out but once a week a good facial mask and cucumbers on her eyes make all the difference in the world. She stand 8 inches tall and would love to sit on the side of your tub or on your dresser. She could spend hours in the bathroom! * Mable is an original one of a kind decorative Art Doll and not meant to be played with as a toy.